Thursday, March 9, 2017

Short and Sweet Book Reviews #79 - Hunter's Claim by S. E. Smith, Purr M For Murder by T.C. LoTempio, The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

Hunter's Claim (The Alliance, #1)Hunter's Claim by S.E. Smith
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was March Starry Night Book Club (the club picks on Science Fiction Romance book a month) selection. I had already read the Jan and Feb books but March was new. I found the story to be typical of the alien raiders and humans women being their mates. The characters were very well written and the tension fit the story line. I liked it enough that I will check out the other books in the series.


Purr M for Murder (A Cat Rescue Mystery #1)Purr M for Murder by T.C. LoTempio
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Sydney and her sister Kat love animals and are working to keep their no kill shelter open. However Trowbridge Littleton wants to shut it down. Nice set up for a murder and for Kat to look guilty. I liked how the shelter and no-kill were made a big part of the plot. There are several cats (my favorites) that are part of the story line. Toby, a big orange cat, often steels the show. There is the hint of a new romance for Sydney when Detective Will Worthington takes a job back in town. Just a hint but enough to add interest to the plot. A nice set up for a new cozy mystery series.

 The Dog StarsThe Dog Stars by Peter Heller
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Dog Stars is the Science Fiction Book Club selection for March. I found the book to be a little boring especially the first half. This would have been a Did Not Finish if for the book club. Having said that I will add that the second half was much more interesting than the first. Hig is an interesting character. I enjoyed the scenes where he is flying and I found the setting interesting. The flying scenes because I am a pilot and the setting because I have a good friend who lives on the Erie airport. This is a slow moving post-apocalyptic story and while Hig seems to have found something to keep him going there is not cure for what has happened to the human race or is there?

View all my reviews

No comments: